One of the things I often get asked is what is a good breakfast or snack option when am I on the go, and you don’t have to look much further than one of these frittata’s…. These little beauties, as inspired by Hemsley & Hemsley, are packed full of protein thanks to the addition of egg and are super nutrient dense due to the mix of different vegetables. Plus, they are super easy to make and you can cook up a batch of them and just grab and go as needed throughout the week. Simply whisk up some eggs, add whatever chopped veges and herbs you fancy, plus a little seasoning, and then transfer to a greased muffin dish to cook in the oven for 12 mins. Make up a batch at the weekend and grab and go as needed on the way into work….
Makes circa 12 frittatas
- 8 eggs
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh peas
- Small handful of fresh chives, finely chopped
- Small handful of fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- Grated parmesan, enough for a small layer on each frittata (optional. Remove if avoiding dairy)
- Coconut oil or butter to grease muffin tray
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C. Grease a muffin tray well with a little butter/ghee or use paper cases or parchment paper
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add all the veges and herbs in to the bowl, season. You are looking for a ratio of around 50 per cent egg to 50 per cent raw veg
- Pour the mixture into the prepared muffin tray and bake for 12 minutes
- Remove from oven, top with parmesan cheese and pop under the grill for 1 or 2 mins until golden brown
- 5 To check if they are done, give the muffin tray a wobble – the frittatas should be just set in the middle. You can always put them back in the oven for another 1–2 minutes if you think they need cooking any longer.
- Remove from the tray and leave to cool. They are then ready to go!