It’s all about bowl food for me…. What I particularly love about this kind of food is that you can just throw together what you have in the cupboard or fridge so it is really economical and you can easily make extra for work the next day. This particular bowl has a bit of a Mexican theme…. Think garlicky guacamole, massaged lemony kale, spicy paprika chickpeas and cashew cream on a bed of quinoa. From start to finish this takes max 20mins and you can just keep mixing it up. The key is to have some kind of non-gluten containing grain as the base (e.g. quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth), some healthy fats (avocado, nuts & seeds, coconut), some protein from beans or tofu (chickpeas, black beans, butter beans etc. spiced up with some sweet smoked paprika or tamari) and some dark green leafy veges for added nutrient value (spinach, chard, brocolli and kale all work well). Don’t over think it, just throw together in a bowl and go!
Mexican ‘bowl of goodness’ recipe
For the quinoa:
- 1/2 mug quinoa
For the guacamole:
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 mug cherry tomatoes, chopped in to small pieces
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and chopped up
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Juice 2 limes
For the kale:
- 4 healthy handfuls of kale, tough stalks removed
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil
- Splash of apple cider vinegar or a squeeze of lemon
- Pinch of salt
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes (optional)
For the cashew cream:
- 1 mug cashew nuts
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- Rinse quinoa in water and then boil with a little lemon, salt & pepper for 10-15 mins until fluffy and soft. Drain.
- Place all the ingredients for the kale in a bowl and message the leaves until they start to go soft after a few mins, set to one side.
- To make the guacamole, start with the avocado and mash it up so nice and soft. Add remaining ingredients.
- For cashew cream, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend.
- Finally, warm up the coconut oil in a pan and then add the spices. Fry for 3-4 mins until starting to go golden.
- To serve, place quinoa on one side of bowl and kale on the other. Then top with your guacamole, chickpeas and a healthy dollop of cashew cream.